Day trips to Capri from Positano and Amalfi
Day trip to Capri from the Amalfi Coast
- GOLD Day Trip Package (per person) € 74
- Boat Tour of Capri with a Blue Grotto Stop: Yellow Line (per person) € 17
- BASIC Day Trip Package (per person) € 55
From Italy's most beautiful coastline to its most beautiful island: if you are visiting the Amalfi Coast, you shouldn't miss a day trip to Capri!
How to Day Trip from the Amalfi Coast to Capri
There are three ways to get to the island of Capri from the Amalfi Coast:
- Take the ferry to Capri and explore the island independently
- Join an organized group tour
- Book a private boat tour or transfer with a skipper
1 - Visiting Capri Independently
Ferry routes from Positano and Amalfi run from the beginning of April to mid-October. The dates can vary from year to year depending upon the seasonal weather and the date on which Easter falls (which traditionally marks the beginning of the tourist season).
As soon as the ferry companies publish the updated schedules, we post them on this page:
Generally, during the months of April and May there are two ferries which depart each morning from the Amalfi Coast for Capri and two which return in the evening. During June, July and August, a third ferry is scheduled in the morning for Capri and in the afternoon for the return route.
We suggest booking your ferry ticket online, especially if you are travelling during the weekend or the months of July and August...the high speed ferries are not large and can get crowded! You can also purchase your tickets directly at the port a day or two before you plan to visit.
- You cannot embark motor vehicles on ferries departing from the Amalfi Coast for Capri
- Luggage is allowed on board: one piece of hand luggage is included in the ticket price. There is a surcharge for additional bages.
- Routes may be suspended due to rough seas or inclement weather
- During the winter season from the end of October to the end of March, you must board the high speed or regular ferry from Sorrento. The route between Capri and Sorrento runs all year round.
Once you've arrived on Capri, you can visit the island in a day by following this itinerary:
Capri Day Trip - A One Day Itinerary on Capri
2 - Join a Group Tour of Capri Departing from the Amalfi Coast
Numerous organized group tours of Capri depart from a number of towns along the coast. You can choose between two types of tours:
- Mini-cruises: you depart on a small ferry with a large group, and sail around the entire island before stopping to disembark on Capri to explore by foot. The average price is EUR 35/person.
- Shared Gozzo: you depart on a traditional wooden "gozzo" boat with a small group. You can stop where you like for a swim and there is a large sundeck to relax and take in the view. The tour includes a trip around the island with a stop in Marina Piccola where passengers have the option of disembarking to explore the center of Capri on foot or stop for lunch at a seaside restaurant. Snacks and beverages are included. The average price is around EUR 80/person.
3 - Rent a Private Boat from Positano to Capri
A private boat rental with a skipper is definitely the most unforgettable way to spend the day discovering Capri.
Departing from Positano (or one of the other towns along the coast), you can stop off the Li Galli islets where it is said that Ulysses met the Sirens for a swim before continuing on to Capri. After a stop under the Faraglioni sea stacks, you can have lunch at a seaside restaurant, visit the famous sea caves, and return by way of Punta Campanella and the Bay of Ieranto.
The cost of renting a boat with a skipper depends on the type of boat, but prices usually begin at EUR 600 for the entire day per boat (not per person).
Even if you have a bit of experience at sea, we do not recommend renting a boat without a skipper as the stretch between the Amalfi Coast and Capri can be choppy and windy, so it's best to know the area well. It's also hard to find a spot to moor your boat if you want to disembark on the island if you don't have a skipper.
You can also reach Capri by ferry and rent a boat directly on the island, leaving more time to visit on land and save a bit in comparison to a private boat rental from Postianto.
Transport and Rental
Purchase your ticket for an island boat tour online and save!
(Terms and conditions)
Recommended experiences and tours
Transport and Rental
There are very few ferries that run between these two islands in the Bay of Naples, so choose a private transfer instead and set your own schedule: no waiting in long queues and no stress. In just 40 minutes you can travel from Capri to Ischia (or vice versa) in style by luxury speedboat!
Private full day tour or shore excursion of the most beautiful gems along the Amalfi Coast. Hop aboard our elegant sedan or minivan to visit Positano, Amalfi, Ravello, and the prettiest fishing villages along the coastline! Bilingual driver will assist you during your tour.
Duration: 8 hours
Book your transfer to or from Rome - Positano and enjoy the beauty of the Amalfi Coast stress-free with a comfortable and relaxing ride in a luxury car with wifi, friendly service, and a bilingual driver.
Duration of the transfer: about 3 hours
A private tour to the Temples of Paestum and the Amalfi Coast.
Tour's stops in details:
Temples of Paestum;
Viewpoint over Positano;
Free lunch time;
Villa Cimbrone /Villa Rufolo in Ravello;
St. Andrew Cathedral in Amalfi.
Vehicle:Mercedes with Englis speakingdriver
Duration: 10/11 hours
Places to visit near the Amalfi Coast
A day trip which takes you back over two millenia
Visit ancient Greece...in southern Italy!
Tips for visiting the Amalfi Coast from Sorrento in a Day
Visit the Sorrento Peninsula
Visit the vibrant city of Naples from Positano and Amalfi
The Amalfi Coast by sea: past and present, history and legend
The luxury lifestyle on the sea off Capri
Sail the sea surrounding Capri and the Amalfi Coast, with Capri Whales!
The best way to experience the beauty of Capri is from the sea by boat
The atmosphere of a five star hotel, aboard a stunning Turkish caique.
A day at sea on a traditional gozzo boat off Capri and the Amalfi Coast.
Boats, motoryacht and charter boats to explore the sea of the Amalfi Coast, Sorrento and the Bay of Naples
Cruise around the Med on your very own yacht: now that's luxury!